These links are provided as resources for our families and do not constitute any kind of endorsement by or affiliation with Mekeel Christian Academy.
Choosing the right college:
- Christian College or Secular School: Foundational question for college search.
- Cost: Grants, Scholarships, and Financial Aid can make any school affordable. Community college is a viable option to remain debt free.
- Quality/Prestige: These are intangible measures that can make a big difference in the overall college experience. Visit as many colleges and different types of schools as possible. How will the reputation affect your potential career? Is it important to your desired field?
- Academic/Programs of Study: One of the first things to decide is what type of curriculum you are interested in. Choose a major and then match colleges. General studies and liberal arts studies are also options.
- Housing/Campus Life: Whether you live on campus or in off-campus housing, it will become your new home and must be a place where you feel comfortable and can get work done. Remember you can always change your housing options from year to year. It is also very important to match the atmosphere of the college with your personal interests. Make sure you can comply with school standards or rules. Seek out a place where you will be able to reach your potential.
- Distance/Location: In state, out of state, home on the weekends, near friends? These are all important factors in the college search. Homesickness is real, but it is not without a cure! Be sure to think hard about the location and surrounding areas, as you will encounter cultural differences and new opportunities in different regions of the country.
- Non Academic Programs: Athletics, arts, international opportunities, college resources and facilities, etc. Be sure to choose a college that can offer grants or scholarships that match your unique capabilities and passions. Not all programs are the same at different schools. Be sure to investigate the depth and qualities of the programs that you would develop under.
The most beneficial way to begin to narrow down the college prospects is to use an online search tool such as the one available at the College Board website. The college counseling office is here to assist students and they are encouraged to contact the college counselor to work together in this process.
Christian Camps (NY)
Peniel Bible Camp, Conference & Retreat
Sacandaga Bible Conference
Word of Life Camps
Council for Christian Colleges & Universities
Federal Student Aid Information
Peterson’s College Search
Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
U.S. Dept. of Ed. Parent Publications
Family / Parenting
American Family Association
Focus on the Family
National Center for Fathering
Head Lice Information
FBI Parent’s Guide to Internet Safety
Keeping the Internet Safe
Police Notebook: Internet Safety
Al Meconi Ministries
Grading the Movies
Ministry and Media
Natl. Institute on Media & Family
Parents Television Council
Plugged In (Focus on Family)
CitizenLink (Focus on Family)
Concerned Women for America
Family Research Council
New York Family Policy Council
New Yorker’s Family Research Foundation
NYS Registered Sexual Offenders
Google Family Safety Directory
Red Cross Family Disaster Safety
Center for Sports Parenting
Worldview Academy (ages 13-15)
Summit Ministries (ages 16+)
Summit at Bryan College
Probe Ministries International
Stand to Reason
Center for Parent/Youth Understanding
Understanding Your Teenager